A hearty breakfast recipe made with quinoa, which is high in protein, gluten free and low in calories. This is a vegetarian dish, however you may add any other source of protein, for example chicken.
2 knobs of coconut oil
1 shallot, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup of quinoa
2 ½ cups vegetable broth
a handful of shredded cheese, choose your favourite
2 cups of arugula
one bunch of green onions
1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
½ cup of fresh mushrooms, sliced
salt & pepper
dash of olive oil
- In a medium size saucepan heat coconut oil over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic and saute until soft and translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add the quinoa and broth, bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer, covered for 14 minutes.
- Fold in the cheese and cook until quinoa is al dente and the risotto is still somewhat brothy. Remove from heat and fold in arugula and season with salt and pepper.
- In a separate pan heat olive oil and saute green onions, tomatoes and mushrooms for about 5-7 minutes. Until green onions and mushrooms are lightly browned.
- Plate quinoa and add your vegetables or protein of choice. You may add a sprinkle of cheese or a little more olive oil on top. ENJOY!