This week is savoury, vegetarian and very filling!
fresh lime juice from one lime
2 tsp cold pressed olive oil
1 tsp of raw honey or pure maple syrup
2 cups of shredded cabbage (I used red cabbage)
sea salt to taste
2 tbsp of coconut oil
1 small onion (I used yellow onion)
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp of ground cumin
½ tsp of smoked paprika powder
pinch of cayenne pepper
2 sweet potatoes, cubed and skinned
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 cup of vegetable broth
2 cups of any kind of mushrooms, sliced
freshly ground black pepper
1. In a large bowl whisk together lime juice, honey and olive oil. Add the shredded cabbage and sea salt to taste. Toss until well combined.
2. Heat the coconut oil in a frying pan, add the onion and a pinch of salt. Cook for 5 minutes, until onions have softened. Now add garlic, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper and stir well for a minute.
3. Add the cubed sweet potato, tomato paste and broth to pan. Cook covered until sweet potatoes have softened, about ten minutes.
4. Sauté sliced mushrooms, season with salt and pepper until lightly browned.
5. This recipe serves four. You can warm your tortilla shells if you prefer them hot, I used whole wheat taco shells, that are smaller in size. To serve put sweet potatoes on tortilla, top with some mushrooms and cabbage slaw.
Recipe credits: My New Roots Cookbook by Sarah Britton